Choreographing a dance for Motif
DANCE MOTIF 2018 - January 26 & 27
Dance Motif 2018 - choreographic eligibility
Orchesis welcomes creative dance development! To be considered as a choreographer in the Dance Motif concert,
- you must have held full registration in the previous year for at least one year (September to April) and have danced in Dance Motif
- you are required to have taken some advanced training in one or more of the suggested courses: "making dances", dance composition within the U of A course offerings such as DANCE 340 or DANCE 446, Creative Process or Creative Practice in Orchesis Summer Dance Intensive,
- or have taken other choreographic workshops or studied choreography and improvisation at another institution
All student choreographers will be assigned a faculty mentor who will assist them with compositional staging as needed. Choreographic_application_2017-18
How to dance in Dance Motif 2018: All dancers registered for the full year are eligible to rehearse and perform in Motif 2018.
Choreographers’ Idea Presentations Tuesday, September 26, 2017 from 1940 -2100 in VVC 2-635 the Dorothy Harris Dance Studio.
Interested in dancing for Dance Motif 2018? You must attend the Choreographic Idea Presentations to sign up for a dance. Rehearsal schedules vary depending on the choreographer and the dance. Rehearsal times are held after classes in the evening and on the weekend. Attend this presentation to get the full schedule. Motif participants will be charged $40 for one dance or $75 for two dances.
– Full year Orchesis registration (September - April) is required to participate in choreography. Performance fees apply per dance. Students may rehearse in maximum of 2 dances.
December Choreographic Works-in-Progress Showing
Saturday, December 9, 2017 in VVC 2-635 from 1000 - 1200
– Free to all Orchesis dancers, faculty and invited guests. The first peek at the dances created in rehearsals.
– Rehearsals are mandatory for all performing Motif dancers.
Dance Motif 2018 Technical Rehearsals
These rehearsals take place in the Myer Horowitz Theatre, Tuesday - Thursday, January 23 - 25, 2018 from 1630-2200.
Rehearsals are mandatory for all performing Motif dancers.
Here are examples of choreography previously created for Dance Motif.
2017: "Verge"- Tamara Bliss
2016: "The Town" - Andrea Fitzgerald
2015: "Body Breaks" - David Son
2015: "four poems for body and breath" - Peggy Baker
For more information about the Dance Motif concert, contact ODP Chair:
Amanda Karpyshin: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tamara Bliss, Orchesis Dance Program Director
Phone: 780-492-0770; Fax: 780-492-2364
VVC 4-421 Pavilion, University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB T6G 2H9