Orchesis Dance Program
Orchesis Dance Program welcomes everyone who wants a chance to dance. This is a non-credit dance program open to all students, alumni and members of the community with a desire to dance, choreograph and perform.
We invite you to join us in an invigorating dance experience at the University of Alberta.
Orchesis is an organization for dancers of all ability levels, from beginner to advanced.
Founded by dance educator Dorothy Harris in 1964, it is one of the oldest student organizations at the University of Alberta.
What we offer
- contemporary modern, ballet and jazz dance classes at varying levels of ability
- the opportunity to perform in concert productions
- the opportunity for choreographers, new or experienced, to create dances
- master classes and workshops sponsored by Orchesis include:
- contemporary modern, ballet and jazz dance technique
- the choreographic process and creative practice
- improvisation and contact improvisation
- dance theatre craft
- dance somatics - example of offerings include: Pilates, Garuda, Dowd conditioning technique, etc.
- lecture/demonstrations and discussions
- classes in a variety of dance forms when appropriate
Orchesis Dance Program Highlights -